It’s almost the end of the year, but there’s still enough time to shed those extra pounds, get a shredded midsection, and reach your goal weight. Who said you need a gym to look ripped?
The best workouts for men are the ones that involve bodyweight exercises. And, you know what that proves? Gym memberships are overpriced and also unnecessary at times. It’s not worth it. You can do much better yourself at home. You just need to know how-to.
Relying on the force of gravity and your body’s natural mechanism to support you, bodyweight exercises are designed to shred fat and gain muscle. All these bodyweight exercises can be performed in the comfort of your home and are just as effective as burning calories in the gym.
What are bodyweight exercises?
In layman’s terms, bodyweight exercises are strength training exercises that use your individual body’s weight to provide resistance against gravity. Bodyweight exercises are super beneficial as they enhance bi-motor abilities including speed, flexibility, balance, power, and endurance among many other motor abilities.
The best bodyweight exercises for men can also build muscle if you use the right principles of increasing and decreasing reps, performance variations, train to failure, drop sets, increasing time under tension, resistance, etc.
Bodyweight exercises advantages
Before we learn about and dive into the best bodyweight exercises for men, let’s see why they’re the best fit for you! These advantages and benefits will convince you to drop those dumbbells and use your body’s natural resources to gain muscle.
- Bodyweight exercises are free and accessible
Bodyweight exercises for men come free of any cost or equipment. You don’t have to worry about spending tons of money at the gym. These exercises, absolutely free of charge can be done in the comfort of your own house. They can also be modified according to your personal fitness level. Therefore, ditch the gym right now and get on your all four for the best results. Who knew having six-pack abs could come for free?
- Bodyweight exercises will increase your mobility, stamina, and stability
Not only do they come free of charge, but they also bring a lot of added benefits to the body. While weightlifting can have brilliant benefits on your body, they limit your mobility. But, we are born to move. Mobility and stability are essential parts of our daily lives. Bodyweight exercises aid mobility, increase stamina, and a sense of balance. Another added benefit is that it can make you extremely flexible and bendy. This can do wonders for your sex life too!
- You can perform these bodyweight exercises anywhere
Tired of sitting in your office chair all day? Do a quick rep of the best bodyweight exercise! Yes, you read that right. Bodyweight exercises can be performed anywhere. If you have enough room to stretch your arms and legs, you have enough room to do the best bodyweight exercises for men.
- Bodyweight exercises are quick and easy
No training is required for performing bodyweight exercises. You just need to practice and repeat. Everybody is constantly busy with their lives and nobody has that extra one hour to burn calories and shed pounds at the gym. This is where bodyweight exercises come in. Bodyweight exercises allow you to make the perfect combination of strength training and cardio, which makes the most efficient form of a workout.
- Bodyweight exercises have proven benefits for injury prevention and developing technique
Bodyweight exercises are the best way to hone your technique, strength, and form. While weightlifting can take a serious toll on your body’s muscles and make you sore, the stress put by bodyweight exercises is lower. Hence, you won’t injure yourself and can make plans about working out long-term.
5 of the best bodyweight exercises for men
We’ve already established that reaching your training goals in 2020 doesn’t have to be expensive or hard. You don’t need to burn holes in your pocket or suffer endless soul-crushing reps. On that note, here are some of the best bodyweight exercises for men that will help you burn fat and build muscle.
We’ve compiled a list of the 5 best bodyweight exercises, each of which is 100 per cent capable of giving you a full-body workout that guys pulling kilos of weight in a gym can only dream of.
- Start with your entire body weight supported on your toes and hands beneath your shoulders keeping your body 90 degrees straight.
- Make sure that you keep your core locked so that a straight line forms between your head, glutes, and your heels.
- Lower your body until your midriff and chest are an inch from the ground then quickly drive up by fully extending your arms.
- Keep on repeating the motion in sets you’re comfortable with
Why do this: Press-ups are quick and easy to do, and they’re amazing for improving upper-body strength. They build muscle, strength, and endurance. Press-ups are a classic blubber-burner.
- Start in a press-up position.
- Jump forward so your legs reach the point where your arms and shoulders are
- Repeat the motion extending your legs back to a press-up position
- Repeat the motion in sets
Why do this: Opening up your hips, pelvic and thoracic region increases the body’s range of motion. Groiners are the best bodyweight exercise and a good cardio exercise. It pumps blood to every part of your body and gets your heart-rate going.
- Start with your feet and shoulder-width apart, then gently squat down until your thighs are 90 degrees parallel to the floor.
- Now, from the bottom of the squat, you have to try placing your hands on the floor and kicking your legs fast out behind you into a classic press-up position.
- Push up until your arms are 100 per cent straight and then tuck in your legs at the bottom of the first squat position.
- Now you have to drive upwards through your heels until you are about five to six inches off the floor and then repeat.
Why do this: Burpees give you a massive calorie burn by activating all the muscles in your body. Enormous effort is required for burpees so it builds strength.
4. Handstand wall walk
- You have to position yourself in a classic handstand position with your feet planted against a straight sturdy wall.
- Now, move your hands forward and try walking down the wall until you reach the bottom of it.
Why do this: Handstand wall walk challenges your posterior and anterior chain, targeting your back muscles. You should squeeze your abs and glutes while performing this bodyweight exercise for the best results.
5. Frozen V Sit
- Start by lying down on your back with your arms and legs outstretched completely and your hands and feet lifted slightly just above the floor.
- Now, begin the exercise by simultaneously raising your torso and legs to touch your feet at the same time.
- Hold for five to 10 seconds.
- Repeat in sets.
Why do this: This is the best bodyweight exercise for those ripped abs. Frozen V Sit works wonders for your core and works your shoulders too!
Remember that no matter what bodyweight exercise you do, it’s important to be consistent. So don’t give up midway. You’ve got this!