Burpees are an amazing all-body workout. It can tone your muscles, burn calories, increase upper-body strength, and power. Doing a few sets of 10 to 15 sets at a time can give your dramatic results if you are consistent.
Burpees enhance your conditioning and endurance while making your heart very strong. When you are strapped for time, don’t have the equipment, and need a quick workout, always resort to burpees. They engage every muscle group and are, therefore, an amazing whole-body workout.
However, if lately you have been bored with burpees, we don’t blame you. Burpees can be repetitive and can get old. Thus, if you are looking to switch up your workout routine, try these 10 best alternatives to burpees!
Reasons why you should consider burpees alternatives
While you may have your own personal reason as to why you don’t want to do burpees anymore, most men who make a switch cite these. These are the most common reasons why people switch to exercise alternatives to burpees.
1. Burpees involve complicated movements that some might not be able to do.
Burpees aren’t a simple exercise. The movements that burpees involve, for example, squats and bodyweight movements require a great amount of flexibility, endurance, coordination, and mobility. They can be very difficult for some people who don’t have excellent coordination or aren’t the most flexible.
2. Burpees can get old and repetitive.
Too much of anything can be boring. And, since burpees are required to be done in sets, it can become repetitive and old. Sometimes the last thing you want to do is a regular old burpee even if it has great effects on your core.
3. Burpees can be demanding.
People who do burpees on a regular basis can make mistakes in the form and technique towards the end of the workout because they are so fatigued. A crisp and clean burpee is beautiful but demanding on the body and can lead to overexertion. Thus, burpees can put you at risk oftentimes. When that occurs, it’s best to switch up the routine to alternatives to burpees.
7 Best Alternatives to Burpees
We have compiled a list of 7 alternatives to burpees that you can incorporate into your workout regime when you get bored of the set. All these exercises have the same effects as burpees and some even better.
1. Jumping Jacks
Remember the simple exercise that you were forced to do in PT class? Yes, it is the iconic jumping jacks. If done with the correct posture and intensity, jumping jacks can have the same effects as burpees.
That is, it can help you burn calories as a form of a cardio workout, you can strengthen your core and upper body, increase power, and tone your muscles. Perform 3 sets of 100 jumping jacks and you’ll be good to go!
How to do it:
- Stand straight and tall with your arms by your side.
- Now, you need to hop spreading your legs to the sides and swinging your arms over your head in a clap position.
- As soon as you land on your feet, hop again, and keep repeating the movement.
- Go for as many repetitions as you can.
2. Squat Thrusts
This exercise is pretty easy to understand. Think about burpees but without the pushup and the jump. Did you know that modern burpees originated from squat thrusts? A great exercise, squat thrusts are an amazing alternative to burpees. If you think that they are too easy for you, then you are probably doing them wrong.
How to do:
- Squat down in a position where you can place your hands on the ground.
- Now, shoot your legs back in a plank position and shoot them forward again before squatting back up.
3. Walking push-ups
Pushups can be a great alternative to burpees and in all, they are an incredible whole body-exercise too. They engage every muscle group. By adding this walking technique to your pushup, you can even enhance the effects.
How to do it:
- Get in a plank position and complete one pushup.
- Next, while keeping your core engaged, walk your left foot and hand over to your left side.
- Now, with your right foot and hand, go back to the original plank position. Then keep repeating this movement side-to-side.
4. Mountain climbers
Another great alternative to burpees, mountain climber while helping you strengthen your core. This particular exercise is not only the best alternative to burpees but also works wonders on your legs and abdomens.
How to do it:
- Get in a firm plank position and keep your hips low.
- Now, draw one knee towards your midriff or chest without using your hips.
- Next, alternate the legs and continue the movement in sets. The movement should look like you are climbing a mountain. The faster you do the exercise repetitions, the better it will work.
5. Kettlebell swings
Kettlebell swings are an incredible alternative to burpees. If you want to incorporate a self-contained and comprehensive workout into your fitness regime then you should try the Kettlebell swings.
This exercise will make you strong, increase your stamina, and make you explosive. For every one burpee, you should do three swings. Kettlebell swings are safer than burpees so you don’t have anything to worry about! And, well a little equipment never hurt anyone!
How to do it:
- Hold a kettlebell in front of your body with both arms straight.
- Now with a slight bend in your knees, hinge your hips and swing the kettlebell back through your legs.
- Maintain the momentum and repeat the movement in repetitions.
Also Read Kettlebell Vs. Dumbbell
6. Plank with a shoulder tap
One of the best alternatives to burpees is the plank with a shoulder tap. Any type of plank works wonders on your body and this is even better. It strengthens most of your muscles including your back, abdomen, calves, and arms.
How to do:
- Get in a high plank position with your arms straight.
- Then slowly but swiftly move your left hand to tap your right shoulder and go back to the plank position.
- Alternate it with the other hand and keep repeating in reps.
7. Jumping Rope
Another simple but great alternative to burpees is your good old jumping rope or skipping rope. A high-intensity cardio workout will help you burn calories while strengthening and toning your body. It will also warm you up and boost up your heart rate. Studies have shown that jumping rope can also elevate your mood and reduce stress.
How to do it:
Well, everyone knows how to jump-rope. You just have to focus on perfecting your jump and keep in mind the timing. If you are confused, learn the jump rope basics.
These were our top alternatives to burpees. Remember to stay consistent and to start small. You wouldn’t want to injure yourself in your fitness journey.