We have all savoured gooseberry or amla topped with chilli powder and salt when we were kids. But did you know that amla juice has amazing benefits? Yes, the benefits of amla are numerous. From skin care problems to preventing cancer, amla juice benefits are far-reaching. The one-stop solution to all your problems is right in your fridge!
Indian gooseberry, or commonly known as amla is a fruit tree that grows in parts of native Asia. The scientific name of amla is Polyanthus Emblica and it is rich in nutrition. Besides, it has several culinary and herbal medicine uses. Amla juice is rich in vitamin C and has potential heart-health and antioxidant properties.
In this article, we have covered everything you need to know about how to use amla juice and the benefits of amla juice.
Must-know facts about amla juice
- Amla is used in cooking Indian food. Many supplements are available on the market today which are made of dried up amla fruit extracts.
- Amla has its roots in Europe, Southeast Asia, and north-western Africa.
- Amla is covered with a veins-like structure that can aid smooth hair growth.
- Each amla fruit contains about 15 to 30 tiny seeds.
- Amla is loaded with vitamin C and vitamin B, along with minerals like calcium, copper, phosphorous, and manganese.
- The amla fruit can yield fruit for a maximum of 20 years.
Health and skin benefits of amla juice
These are the health and beauty benefits of Amla Juice:
- Benefits for skin
Amla Juice can do wonders for your skin. You can use amla juice for kin in two ways: you can either drink it or apply it on your face and skin. Amla juice has anti-ageing properties. The Vitamin C in amla juice beats ageing cells and adds glow to the face. Drinking fresh amla juice regularly prevents premature ageing, fine lines, wrinkles, discolouration and dark spots.
Applying amla juice paste on your face can also treat acne. It can fight pimples, reduce scarring and give you flawless skin. Regular consumption of amla juice boosts collagen production. Collagen helps your skin look fresh and youthful.
Besides, amla juice also removes dead skin cells and treats pigmentation. It is an excellent cleanser with anti-ageing properties that can remove dead skin cells and help to rejuvenate your skin.
Also, read 6 Powerful Health Benefits Of Gokshura Herb!
- Benefits for hair
From removing dandruff to treating all hair problems, amla juice benefits for hair are innumerable. The amla juice paste works like a natural straightener for your hair. It repairs hair follicles and boosts hair growth. If you want to protect your hair from premature greying, all you need to do is, apply gooseberry juice to your hair and leave it on for 30 minutes before washing it off. The vitamins and antioxidants present in amla juice prevents hair fall and adds shine to your hair.
Besides, amla juice can repair broken strands of hair, make hair stronger and also, treat stubborn dandruff. Applying amla juice to your hair is the one-stop solution to all the above-listed hair problems.
- Anti-ageing benefits
As we said, amla juice has several anti-ageing functions for your skin and hair. But, did you know that it has promising anti-ageing benefits for your body too? The vitamin C antioxidants present in amla juice protects against cellular damage which may help in slowing down your body’s natural process of ageing.
In addition, amla juice has proven to protect against age-related vision problems including age-related macular degeneration or AMD, dry eyes, etc by improving the mitochondrial health of eye cells.
Also, read 6 Ways To Get Rid Of Bloating Stomach
- Cancer prevention
Studies related to the benefits of Amla Juice have shown that amla juice extracts can kill certain types of cancer cells, including breast cancer, skin cancer and lung cancers. Amla is known to have antioxidant activity that helps in cancer prevention. It can also help in cell mutations that lead to tumor growth and, cancer development.
The many phytochemicals, such as tannins and flavonoids, in Indian gooseberries or amla juice, are known to play a vital role in cancer prevention, along with its vitamin C and antioxidant content.
However, scientists aren’t sure if amla juice is beneficial for those already diagnosed with cancer or undergoing cancer treatments. It has a preventive benefit.
- Heart-health benefits
One of the best-known health benefits of amla juice is its benefits for protecting heart-health.
- Antioxidant effects: Amla juice or Indian gooseberry extracts may protect against the oxidative damage that is often associated with heart injury.
- Regulates endothelial function: Several studies conducted with people with type 2 diabetes found taking 1,000 mg of Indian gooseberry or amla juice daily improved the endothelial function to the same extent as compared to the drug atorvastatin
- Anti-inflammatory effects: Several human studies have noted that amla juice or Indian gooseberry can significantly help to reduce inflammation, which is one of the key factors considered in the development of heart disease
- Normalizes blood fat levels: Amla juice also helps to stabilize blood fat level benefits. Studies have observed improved blood fat profiles after supplementing with amla juice, including lower triglyceride and total and LDL or bad cholesterol, as well as increased HDL or good cholesterol
- Reduces blood pressure: Indian gooseberry can help to reduce high blood pressure levels by acting as a vasodilator, or by widening the blood vessels. High blood pressure is one of the major risk factors associated with heart disease.
- Anti-platelet effects. Finally, supplementing with amla juice or Indian gooseberry may help prevent the formation of blood clots, which may cause a heart attack or stroke if they block an artery.
Also, read The Role Of Phytosterols For A Healthy Heart
- Liver damage:
Amla juice can protect against serious liver damage caused by either a substance that is considered toxic for the liver (N-nitrosodiethylamine) or by an unhealthy high-fat diet. This is due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Immune health
Finally, amla juice also has immune-strengthening effects due to the presence of Vitamin C. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that prevents cellular damage and reduces inflammation. Vitamin C also boosts your immune response by promoting the proliferation of phagocytes. It also helps in the production of antibodies.
These were all the known amla juice benefits! A cup of amla juice a day will keep the doctor away.