Nigella sativa is a small shrub that grows in parts of Southern Europe, Southwest Asia, and the Middle East. The nigella sativa shrub produces tiny black seeds. They go by a variety of names but they are most commonly known as black cumin, black caraway, nigella, Roman coriander, and fennel flower.
Black seed oil is extracted from these tiny black seeds. People have been using black seed oil for its therapeutic properties for ages now. They’ve been around for centuries, dating back to 2000 years ago. The black seed oil has a long tradition of being featured in mythological stories as well.
6 Health benefits of black seed oil
In India, black seeds or black cumin as it is most commonly known, have been used to make Indian food tastier. However, that is not all there is to it. Studies suggest that black seed oil has various health benefits for numerous applications such as health, beauty, skincare rituals, etc.
Some people even use black seed oil as a go-to remedy for many health issues. The benefits of black seed oil range from beauty and, skincare to even treating chronic conditions like diabetes and cancer. It has anti-inflammatory and tumor reducing properties.
We have listed down the incredible black seed oil benefits.
The health benefits of black seed oil include:
- May aid in weight loss
Several types of research have shown that consuming black seed supplementation can lower people’s Body Mass Index (BMI) levels. Those who take black seed oil lose more weight compared to those who don’t. Black seed oil is particularly helpful for those who struggle to lose weight because of conditions like obesity, metabolic syndrome, thyroid, and type-2 diabetes, etc.
Black seed oil is a good source of fatty acids, proteins, and minerals. The seeds are rich in sterols, beta-sitosterol and have anti-carcinogenic properties.
- High in antioxidants
Black seed oil is very rich in antioxidants. They have plant compounds that protect the cells against damage caused by oxidation and free-radicals. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has also recommended that black seed oil can be used as a herbal remedy.
Scientists say that antioxidants are crucial for health, they can reduce inflammation and protect against chronic disease conditions like cancer, diabetes, heart diseases, and even Alzheimer’s disease. The antioxidants found in black seed oil are also known to protect brain health.
- Fights against asthma and other respiratory problems
Nigellone and Thymoquinone are two of the most essential and volatile oils found in black seed oil. Nigellone provides both antispasmodic and broncho-dilating properties that add to the health benefits of black seed against breathing disorders.
Asthma is a chronic condition in which the lining of the airways swells up as the muscles start to constrict. Thus, it becomes difficult to breathe. The thymoquinone present in the black seed oil can reduce asthma by treating inflammation and relieving muscles. This makes black seed oil capsules very popular among asthma and respiratory disorder patients.
- Treats chronic health conditions
As we said before, the black seed oil benefits include treating chronic health conditions, like cancer and diabetes, etc.
- Cancer: Recent research in Oncology has shown that the thymoquinone present in black seed oil can trigger programmed cell death of cancer cells or apoptosis. These can include leukemia, skin cancer, lung cancer, and even brain cancer cells.
However, the research conducted has been found to be useful in preventing cancer. The jury is still out on whether it is effective for those already diagnosed with cancer or undergoing cancer treatments.
- Diabetes: The Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism published an article that claimed that the benefits of black seed oil include anti-bacterial properties that may also improve blood sugar levels.
Thus, consuming black seed oil capsules can be effective for those diagnosed with diabetes, especially type-2 diabetes.
- Liver and Kidney Function: Black seed oil is also known to reduce liver and kidney disease complications while improving the organic structure.
- Infertility Functions: A placebo-controlled clinical trial was conducted on men with abnormal infertility and sperm functions. Then, it was found out that black seed oil can significantly improve sperm movement, increase semen volume, and subsequently, improve sperm count.
- Benefits for the skin
Black seed oil is found to be beneficial for people suffering from the following skin conditions:
- Eczema: According to a 2013 research study that compared the therapeutic benefits of N. sativa with those of prescription medications for treating eczema, it was found out that black seed oil can reduce the severity of hand eczema.
- Acne: Research also suggests that the antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects present in black seed oil can improve acne and treat acne scars. In a study, 58 percent of participants rated their response to this treatment as good, while 35 percent felt that their results were decent to moderate.
- Psoriasis: A 2012 study conducted on mice suggested that the black seed oil may also have antipsoriatic benefits.
Besides, Black seed oil may also hydrate your hair, soften skin, and act as a deep moisturizer. However, there is a certain lack of scientific evidence to confirm these black seed oil benefits.
Also, read The Role Of Phytosterols For A Healthy Heart
- Strengthens bone structure and density
Further research on the benefits of black seed oil has suggested that the anti-osteoporotic effects can account for the antioxidant properties of black seed oil. Thus, it helps in strengthening the bone structure and bone density while destroying tumor cells.
Other potential benefits of black seed oil include:
- It may reduce symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. Due to the anti-inflammatory effects of black seeds and black seed oil, research suggests that black seed oil may help reduce joint inflammation in people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.
- Anti-fungal Properties: The benefits of black seed oil include anti-fungal properties. Specifically, it may protect against Candida albicans., which is a type of yeast that can lead to candidiasis.
These were all the known benefits of black seed oil. All in all, the black seed oil is great and can work like magic for your skin and health problems. It is the one-stop solution.