Choosing the right haircut according to your face-shape is integral to elevating your look. It defines your look and thus choosing the right haircut becomes extremely important. If you can crack that right, it can make a world of difference to your look and your personality.
But, how to know your Face shape?
Fret not, we are here to help. It’s simple. First, take a flexible tape measure. Then, take the following measurements, recording each one as you proceed.
- Forehead: Measure across your face from the peak of one eyebrow arch to the peak of the opposite arch.
- Cheekbones: Measure across your cheekbones, starting and ending at the pointiest part below the outer corner of each eye.
- Jawline: Measure from the tip of your chin to the bottom of your ear at the point at which your jaw angles upwards. Multiply that number by 2 to get your jawline measurement.
- Face Length: Measure from the centre of your hairline to the tip of your chin.
Once you’ve taken these measurements, note which is the largest of the four, and then compare this to the seven main profiles to find out which one is your face shape.
- Oval: Face length is greater than the width of the cheekbones, and forehead is greater than the jawline. The angle of the jaw is rounded rather than sharp.
- Rectangle: Face length is the greatest measurement. Forehead, cheekbones, and jawline are similar in size.
- Triangular: Jawline measures greater than cheekbones, which measure larger than the forehead.
- Round: Cheekbones and face length have a similar measurement. They are larger than the forehead and jawline, which also have a similar measurement. The angle of the jaw is soft and much less defined.
- Heart: Forehead measures greater than the cheekbones and jawline. The chin is pointed.
- Square: All measurements are fairly similar. The angle of the jaw is sharp rather than rounded.
- Diamond: Face length measures largest. Then, in descending order: cheekbones, forehead, and smallest is jawline. The chin is pointed.
How to choose the right haircut according to your face shape?
Two General Guidelines
1. Pick a haircut that will make your face look oval. Regardless of your particular face shape, you should ideally pick a hairstyle that makes your head look more like an oval. The oval face shape is considered the ideal head shape because it’s symmetrical and proportionate. Say, for example, if you have a roundish head, you need to pick a haircut that will make your face look longer to get a more oval-looking face.
If you have a triangle-shaped head, you’ll have to get a haircut that gives you more width at your forehead so it looks less pointy, and more rounded at the top.
2. Take your beard into account. Your beard can work wonders on your face, so you need to consider that when selecting a hairstyle. For example, if you have a long rectangle face, choosing a haircut with height plus a long beard is going to make your head look even longer. Trust us, you don’t want that.”
Now, let’s discuss them one by one while giving you some awesome styling tips.
Oval face shape
Oval face shapes are proportioned well and can handle a broad range of different hairstyles and lengths. Given most hairstyles suit this face shape, it is all about your personal preference as to how you want to style your hair. You can go for a standard quiff, or you can also go for longer lengths and modernized cuts.
Your face shape can handle a voluminous pompadour or even longer, fuller shoulder-length hair. Oval face shapes also work well with a buzz cut and a shaved head.
Square face shape
Since you possess a strong jawline, it should be emphasized. We recommend opting for an undercut, which will make the most of your sharp jawline. As this face shape is versatile to handle different types of hair, don’t be afraid to experiment with other lengths and styles.
We recommend a lot of volume when styling your hair, so focus on fullness. Classic, neat haircuts complement a square shape best. You can try close fades, side partings and short layers. A quiff works well, whether a purely classical one or with a modern edge.
Heart face shape
When choosing a hairstyle for your heart-shaped face, remember to balance out the top part of your face with the bottom, so keep your hair proportionate to your features.
You should ensure that your chin doesn’t appear too narrow. A textured fringe or dimensional quiff will do the job just fine. A medium-length swept look is the safest bet, in this case.
Diamond face shape
Side parts work very well for men with diamond face shapes so ensure that your hair is textured and a little messy, which will complement your facial features better. Hairstyles that add width at the forehead and your chin area are your best bet.
Fringes work well to add texture to the forehead, while longer styles that can be tucked behind the ears are great for accentuating a diamond shape’s bone structure.
Round face shape
Your hairstyle needs to create angles, given your face shape naturally lack shape and dimension. To elongate your face, try out a hairstyle with longer proportions up top and shorter sides. A pompadour or quiff would be great. It will give more dimension to your face.
A side part will also create more angles and give you a more mature look. Square corners in the high recession area of your hair will sharpen up any soft edges, so you can try that.
Oblong face shape
You need to be conscious that you do not further elongate your face. The trick is to ensure that your face doesn’t look longer than it already appears.
You will need to opt for more balanced hairstyles without too much distinction between the sides and the top of your hair. A side part will work well, working to lend a bit of a dimension to a shorter hair length. A slicked back hairstyle or a sleek man bun will also better balance out the proportions of your face. Keep in mind, you will not want to add too much volume.
So, those were the few words of wisdom that we had to share with you guys regarding choosing the right haircut for your face. Do your own research, talk with your barber/ hairstylist and don’t hesitate to experiment! Hope this of help to you!