Martinis are like one of the most classic and sophisticated drinks in the world which can be enjoyed anytime during the day. In addition to this, they are mostly used as complimentary drinks during holidays and other special occasions.
However, there are a plethora of versions of a Martini, which makes it difficult to decide which one is the right and classic one. Therefore, let us start with the tried-and-true classic recipe of Martini and how it has been made. After that, we’ll guide you on how to make one of its most popular variations, that is, a Christmas cake martini.
So, before any further adieus, let’s get straight into the game.
What is a martini?
A dry martini or in a more colloquial language, a martini is generally made up of a mixture of gin and vermouth. Vermouth being the second most important ingredient of Martini is a fortified wine, which is made up of different types of herbs and botanicals.
However, if you want to make a Martini at home, make sure you are keeping the bottle of vermouth refrigerated even after it is open. Vermouth being a wine, can be easily oxidized after opening, therefore, you need to be very diligent and take utmost care to keep it in a cold environment. Otherwise, you will not be adding vermouth to Martini, you will be adding vinegar to a Martini.
The drink is often garnished with an olive and lemon twist. Martini is considered to be one of the most popular and preferred alcoholic beverages over the years.
However, some people also like to drink vodka instead of gin which is full of botanical flavors and works extremely well with the vermouth. Be that as it may, people like to drink vodka because it is a neutral spirit and does not have any flavor of its own. It has a smooth consistency and makes drinking a Martini more pleasurable.
What are the ingredients required to make a classic martini?
To make a classic martini, you will require:
- A two and a half ounces of gin or vodka, as per your preferences.
- Half an ounce of dry vermouth
- Lemon peel twist or olives for garnishing purposes.
Directions to make a perfect classic martini:
To make a true and a tied up Martini you will need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Before making any martini, you will be required to chill the glass. To chill it, you can put the glass in the freezer or pour some ice scoop in it.
- Now, pour gin or vodka along with dry vermouth in a mixing glass.
- Along with these ingredients, also add some ice to the mixing glass. Now, stir these ingredients until they are completely chilled.
- Strain the mixture in your Martini glass.
- Now, for garnishing purposes, you can use a lemon peel. Take the peel and pinch the back of it to pour over the drink. Then, rub the peel around the rim of the glass and then drop it into the glass. You can also garnish the drink with olives.
Now that we know the basics of martini, what it is and how to make one, let us talk about some of its variations. Vesper Martini is a type of martini that consists of gin, vodka, and Kina Lillet. Lillet is an aromatized French-wine that belongs to the family of aperitifs. Vesper Martini was invented by Fleming in Casino Royale.
Another important variation of a classic Martini is a Christmas Martini. As the name suggests, this type of martinis is generally saved for Christmas, which is not only the festival of joy, happiness, and treats but also drinks.
Christmas martini cocktail recipes generally include those ingredients which give the drink sweet and sour flavors at the same time. The lime juice and the vodka in the cocktail give it a sour flavor whereas the addition of sugar syrup gives the drink a sweet flavor to savor.
Not only that, but Christmas cocktails also include the goodness of pomegranate juice which makes the drink a little bit tangy as well. These cocktails are generally garnished with mint leaves which provides the drink with a mint flavor also.
As you can see, to make any Christmas cocktail you will require the basic kind of ingredients which will be available on your kitchen shelves. However, these ingredients have to be added to the drink in appropriate proportion to deliver the drink its proper taste.
However, there are many variations to a Christmas martini as well. One of the most popular variations which have been increasingly growing popular during Christmas is Christmas Cake Martini Cocktail.
What is a Christmas Cake martini cocktail?
A Christmas Cake Martini cocktail is a lot similar to other Christmas cocktails. However, it differs as the Christmas cake martini cocktail ingredients are a bit different. They include:
- 50 ml of whiskey
- 5ml of sugar-syrup which should be almond flavored
- 5ml of cherry brandy
- 5ml of cognac, which is one of the popular varieties of brandy.
- 5ml of lime juice
- Some cherries and ground cinnamon to serve along with the drink
Directions for making a perfect Christmas Cake martini cocktail?
To make a Christmas cake martini cocktail perfectly which helps in building an impression in front of your guests, you need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Before, beginning to make any martini, make sure your martini glass is chilled.
- Take all the above-mentioned ingredients except the cherries and cinnamon and put them in a cocktail shaker with some ice.
- Next, shake the cocktail shaker well.
- Once the drink is ready, you can strain it into a chilled Martini glass. However, make sure you strain it after covering the rim of the glass with cinnamon and sugar.
- In the end, you can garnish the drink by adding some cherries and cinnamon.
Christmas Cake Martini cocktail is the perfect alcoholic beverage to drink during the festivals, along with some palatable and delicious foods. Not only that, if you are hosting a party at your house, this is the best time for you, to show off your cocktail-making skills with this Christmas cake martini cocktail recipe. The sweet, sour, tangy, and mint taste will take people on a refreshing rollercoaster ride.