After you are done applying for the job, the process of anticipation for the call begins. You wait and wait for an email or a phone call from the company you applied for so that you can get shortlisted for the interview and get hired.
When the wait is finally over and you are selected for the job interview, the real panic begins. You worry about what to wear in the job interview. If you are in this position right now in your life, then you have come to the right place.
This article explains the formal wear for a job interview along with some extra tips that are to be kept in mind while you dress yourself up. So, panic not, the article has got it all covered. Scroll it and see for yourself!
What is to be considered while choosing formal wear for a job interview?
It is pragmatically impossible to list out the combinations which often reflect formal attire because they are uncountable. However, what can be done is to expound on certain points which are to be kept in mind while choosing your professional outlook.
These points which are universal truths in themselves will help you highlight your personality.
- The first thing that you need to consider is the comfort and fit of the clothes that you will choose to wear. More often than not, people believe that it is okay to feel a bit uncomfortable in formal wear. That’s not true. While giving the job interview, you have to highlight your skills and while doing so, you need to be the most comfortable in not only your skin but also what you wear.
- The second thing to be considered to wear formal attire for a job interview is the fit of the clothes. If you are wearing a shirt too tight, you might have to constantly move your hands to loosen it up or pull the shirt down. If you are wearing your pants too loose, you might have to pull up your pants every time. If the suit doesn’t fit you well, get it measured and fitted by a professional.
- Last but not the least, you need to wear those clothes where you feel the most confident. For this, you might have to try some clothes beforehand and judge which combination makes you feel more confident. The more confident you feel, the better you will be able to create an impression on your potential employer.
Guideline to choose formal clothes for job interview
When it comes to choosing formal attire for a job interview, it is important to know that it generally askews towards a conservative undertone that focuses more on cut, color, and pattern. However, you can always play with the clothing safely and securely.
Here’s how you can do that:
1. The main outfit
When it comes to an interview dress code, men have to follow a more straightforward and direct way of clothing. If you want to wear a suit, choose solid colors such as dark blue or grey. However, if this is your first interview, it is advisable to wear a simple shirt, tie, and trousers.
Avoid wearing silk shirts as they do not correspond with a formal or professional look. Do not forget to iron your shirt and check if there are any stains ( Very important!) Make sure that you are not wearing printed shirts or pants as they do not depict a professional outlook. You can wear a decent leather belt to complete your formal attire.
Wear formal shoes with or without laces, which are well-fitted. This goes without saying. It is advisable to wear black or brown shoes that suit your outfit. Do not forget to polish them as they show your real personality. Make sure that you are wearing socks which are of similar color to the shoes. Do not wear slippers or sneakers to the job interview.
3. Overall presentation of yourself
Apart from wearing your formals and footwear correctly, you need to work on your present yourself through maintaining proper hygiene. This includes having a clean and professional haircut, proper facial haircut, trimmed nails, etc. Make sure that you spray perfume all over your body before you enter a job interview.
Check your breath before you enter the interview room. Bad breath is not going to help you create a good impression. In addition to this, if you want to wear a tie, go ahead but remember they have to be low-key.
You do not want to wear a tie that is too bright in color or has distracting patterns of comedy or cartoon characters. Remember, you are giving a job interview and not going out on a date with someone.
Is business casual a thing for job interviews?
The dress code is different from one company to another. Therefore, before giving the job interview, your interviewer will brief you on what is the company’s dress code. If nothing is specified, you have to follow the conventional rule of formal apparel.
If your company follows a business casual dress code, here are some of the things that you can keep in mind:
- Make sure that you do not follow the complete casual look of jeans, t-shirts, or trainers. You are not hanging out with your friends. You are giving an interview that may or may not decide your career.
- In a business–casual dress code, there is no need for suits. All you need is to wear a jacket, which is not too formal but strikes the right balance between professional, stylish, debonair, accompanied with non-matching trousers.
- You can wear a collared shirt and if it is winter then you can also add on a light wool sweater which matches the shirt.
These are some of the guidelines, tips, and rules that you can keep in mind to choose the right formal wear for a job interview. Apart from dressing yourself up in the right manner, make sure that you wear your confidence correctly. You do not want to seem too arrogant nor too shy. Strike a perfect balance between the two and believe in yourself. You got this!