A derma roller is a device used for skincare, for treating acne scarring and giving the skin a fresh, rejuvenated look. Derma rollers are effective for stronger hair growth and are known to control balding. For hair regrowth, drama rollers work even better when used with minoxidil and can help prevent hair fall and prevent male pattern baldness. Originally initiated by dermatologists, derma rolling is now commonly done at home as well.
If you are one of those people who are regular users of a derma roller, you must be knowing that the device needs to be cleaned regularly. While using a derma roller, bacteria and germs from the skin get collected on it and might lead to severe skin infections if used further without any cleaning. Using an unclean, dirty derma roller might lead to the growth of bacteria, which might get transferred to the skin’s surface.
How to clean derma roller after each use?
We are here to help you with tips on how to clean your roller. To clean your derma roller, follow the given simple steps:
- Use a derma roller cleaner, along with some good detergent to clean your derma roller after every use. Fill up a plastic bucket or a container with hot water (not very hot, but mild) and add a few drops of the washing up liquid.
- Take your derma roller and immerse it in the solution upside down. Take caution that the needles of the roller do not touch the container and leave it to soak for about 15-20 minutes.
- Take it out after the stipulated time and rinse it under hot water. Washing it with hot water ensures if any blood or skin gets stuck in it while use, that can be successfully removed.
- After you have cleaned the derma roller with hot water, the majority of dirt and impurities get removed from it. However, for disinfecting the derma roller, hot water is not enough. The next step is cleaning it using alcohol.
- Methanol or ethanol, with 60-80% concentration, or a mix of methanol or ethanol (surgical spirit) are some of the best options you can go for to clean your derma roller. Take the same plastic container and fill it with alcohol this time, and soak your derma roller upside down in it, for a little longer this time, around 25-30 minutes. This will ensure that all the possible bacteria get killed and your derma roller gets disinfected.
- Remove it from the container and place it on a clean towel. Place it in the original storage container where you place it always. Make sure that the derma roller has dried completely, and only then should you place it in the storage container.
A few do’s and don’ts to take care of while you clean derma roller:
- Do not use boiling water to clean your derma roller, it might severely damage its needles.
- Try not to use a bleach solution for disinfecting your derma roller. Eventually, you’ll be using the roller on your skin, and bleach is a harsh chemical that might be bad for use on the skin.
- Do not use sterilizing fluids on your roller because they might corrode the metal needles of the roller.
How to sterilize your derma roller?
Here are simple steps following which you can sterilize your derma roller:
- Take your roller and wash it underwater for 5 seconds, to remove any dirt on it.
- Immerse the roller in isopropyl alcohol (not less than 60% concentration) or hydrogen peroxide.
- Soak your roller in the solution for 60 minutes for proper sterilization.
- Rinse it under running water for around a minute, and keep it for drying.
- For drying, place your roller on a clean, dry towel for 10-15 minutes and let it air dry.
- Like earlier, make sure that it is completely dry and once it is, you may place it in the original storage container where you keep it.
Other methods of cleaning a derma roller might include several different techniques or using different things like purification tablets for sanitizing your derma roller.
How to clean derma roller before use?
If you are cleaning your derma roller after each use and storing it safely in a container every time, there is no need to clean it intensely before every use.
If you wish to clean your roller before use, here’s how you may do it:
- Pour some amount of rubbing alcohol into a clean glass.
- Immerse the roller upside down in the glass for around 5 minutes.
- Remove it from the glass and let it air dry for 10-15 minutes.
- Make sure it is dry, and your derma roller is ready to be used.
How often should I clean my derma roller?
The entire purpose behind using a derma roller can get defeated if it is not bacteria-free, in fact, it might cause infections on your skin. Hence, you need to clean your derma roller every time you use it.
The number of times you can derma roll your skin basically depends on the sensitivity of the skin and the length of your roller’s needles. While using a roller, its needles penetrate through your skin’s layers and make deep punctures, which are longer in the case of rollers with long needles. Therefore, you can derma roll your hair more frequently if using a roller with shorter needles, as compared to one with longer needles.
Sterilizing your derma roller before and after every use is therefore highly essential, and you must make it a practice or a habit to do so. Even if you feel it is clean, and your skin was completely fresh while using it, you never know what bacteria might get attached to it, and attack you when you use it later. Therefore, prevent your skin from any damage and follow a proper cleansing routine.
Cleaning is an essential part of any healthcare routine. Hence, if it is not your top priority, you might end up having reverse effects on your skin of any part of the body. Similarly, cleaning your derma roller is as important as using it. Clean it after every use.