Most men consider their beards as their assets, and they are even possessive about them at times. They would listen to anything, but eh, no negative comments on their beards.
When boys come of age, they are generally so excited about seeing their beards grow for the first time. It becomes extremely important to grow a beard for boys and men too. Boys whose hair growth starts earlier than others even start showing it off among their peers. This is the age when a lot of boys even tend to start using beard oils or creams because they are so eager to grow a beard as soon as possible. Growing a full beard is a task, but here are some explanations, reasons and tips that can help you understand better about your beard.
Factors that affect beard growth
Before we get into the real deal and tell you how to grow a beard, let us talk about some factors that actually regulate beard growth, and then you are automatically going to understand how it works.
- Genetics: If you have always wondered why your beard doesn’t grow at a particular spot or why the colour of your beard is the way it is, the answer might be in your genes. Genetics is the most significant factor that contributes largely to beard growth: the coarseness of the hair, the texture, or the maximum length of the hair.
- Testosterone: Higher testosterone levels in men are also a common reason behind excessive facial or bodily hair. However, testosterone also contains a steroid named dihydrotestosterone (DTH), which greatly affects the growth of the hair on your head. Since it has almost no effect on beard growth, you are likely to bald men with very good, heavy beards. Is baldness the price you pay for having good beard growth, eh? definitely unfair.
- Diet: A good, healthy diet affects your body in uncountable ways, including hair growth. A balanced diet, rich with proteins, vitamins, and minerals is bound to have a good effect on your beard growth. Proteins, vitamins B, C, D, zinc, and iron, help steady the process of beard growth.
- Stress: As much as we might joke around casually about our hair falling out because of stress, it does hold an amount of truth. Increased stress in your brains leads to the weakening of the immune system, which in turn, can massively affect your beard growth or might even prevent you from getting a full beard. Yes, this is also a reminder to take good care of yourself and not stress out your minds with trivial things.
- Smoking: this might sound new to most people, and most of you might not believe it but, smoking does considerably affects your hair growth and excessive smoking might lead to hair loss, including the ones on your beards.
Now that we’ve talked about the factors, you might have understood the reason behind your slow hair growth.
Natural ways to get healthy and full beard
Now that we have talked about factors affecting the growth of beard, let us also talk about a few tips that might be helpful for you on how to grow a beard naturally:
- Wash your face properly with warm water at least twice a day. This will clear out your skin which helps in increasing hair growth.
- Exfoliation: You can try exfoliating your skin once a week, which will remove all the bad, dead cells from the skin and enhance hair growth.
- A good amount of sleep is essential for almost all good things to happen to your body, just like an increase in hair growth. Sleep makes sure that the unwanted and damaged cells in your body are repaired, which in turn helps in stimulating hair growth.
- Do not shave or trim your beard very frequently, do it only when it fully grows after a period of six weeks.
- You can also go for a facial massage. It gives you a relaxing experience and improves the blood circulation in your facial parts. Increased blood circulation helps your hair grow tremendously.
- Among natural products used to get a full beard, eucalyptus works surprisingly well. You can always try oils with eucalyptus as an ingredient.
Amla oil also works really well to increase the growth of your facial hair.
What food can help in growing a beard?
There are several foods, the intake of which can significantly help the growth of your facial hair, including your beard. Here we list out a few of them for you:
- Spinach: This leafy vegetable, rich in calcium, protein, iron, potassium, and magnesium, can definitely be your go-to-food to fasten your hair growth naturally.
- Sweet potatoes: these are rich in beta-carotene which helps improve the cell growth in your beard.
- Biotin-rich foods: foods rich in biotin are one great source of enhancing your beard growth. You can also intake biotin itself, in small quantities every day.
Biotin helps boost the keratin in your body, which is the primary element in the composition of your hair.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon helps in increasing the oxygen flow to the follicles present in the hair. Cinnamon is also quite commonly used in many foods as a garnishing material, to add some sweetness to the food.
Apart from this, there are other non-natural ways to get a full beard through oils and creams that claim to increase your beard growth by great levels. However, naturally letting hair grow is the best option, in our suggestion.
Also, you must take due care of your beard, just like other parts of your body.
- Washing: Using regular hair shampoos and conditioners to wash your beard has been observed to make the beard hair extremely dry. Hence, you should always go for natural products or products specially designed for beard hair.
You can also use a beard softener for a deep cleanse twice or thrice a week.
- Soap/face wash: The beard is ultimately a part of your face, and the product you use to wash your face forms an important component in making or breaking your beard. Hence, you should go for a cleanser that is gentle and suits your skin type.
This would be all on how to grow a beard naturally. You must do your research before using any products for your beard and understand its pros and cons.
We hope this helps!