Oligospermia is a medical condition in men which is characterized by a low sperm count. It also leads to various male fertility problems such as maintaining an erection and reaching orgasm.
Now, during the process of ejaculation, the sperm count will always keep on fluctuating throughout your life. According to the World Health Organisation, the sperm count should be above 15 million sperms per ml.
If you have a sperm count which is below the above-mentioned count, you can be diagnosed with oligospermia. Be that as it may, there are three types of oligospermia, which include:
- Mild Oligospermia: In this type, your sperm count is somewhere between ten to fifteen million sperm ml.
- Moderate Oligospermia: This type has a sperm count between five to ten million sperm ml.
- Severe Oligospermia: This type is diagnosed when you have a sperm count between zero to five million sperm ml.
As mentioned earlier, the sperm count of every man fluctuates throughout the day. Therefore, sometimes it can be extremely low or extremely high. However, it turns into a medical condition when you have a problem in naturally conceiving a child or get an erection.
What are the causes of Oligospermia?
Oligospermia primarily occurs due to an infection that is generally caught during sexual transmission. However, there are several other causes of getting diagnosed with oligospermia. These include:
- Sometimes, due to the enlargement of the veins which help in the transportation of the blood from the testicles, one can be diagnosed with oligospermia. This condition is called varicocele oligospermia, which causes a spike in the temperature of testicles.
When there is an increase in the temperature of the testicles, it can reduce the production of sperms. This is one of the most common causes which affect men with low sperm count.
- Oligospermia can also be affected by certain ejaculation issues. One of the common ejaculation issues which affect the condition is retrograde ejaculation. In this condition, the semen is not ejaculated out of the tip of the penis, rather, it is retrieved back into the bladder.
Other causes which can affect your ejaculation include
- There are different types of medications such as beta-blockers, antibiotics, and blood pressure medications which affect the sperm count and even the internet during the process of ejaculation.
- Hormonal problems can also affect your sperm count. More often than not, your brain and testicles are responsible for producing a certain hormone that keeps your sperm count high and helps you reach orgasm. However, if there is an imbalance in their hormone production, it is surely going to affect the levels of your sperms.
- Exposure to dangerous chemicals and metals such as pesticides, cleaning agents, and lead can negatively impact your sperm count.
- To keep your sperm count high, a cool temperature is a must. However, this is disrupted when you are keeping your laptop or your phone near your genitals, which can quickly heat them. As mentioned earlier, a spike in temperature can reduce your sperm count.
- When you use an excessive amount of substances such as marijuana and cocaine, there is a significant decrease in your sperm count. A similar situation is observed when you are constantly inebriated. Not only that, smoking cigarettes can have a similar effect on you.
If you are overweight, then there is a risk that you may have a low sperm count. This is because excess fat in your body can reduce the ability of sperm production. Not only that, but obesity also affects the process of hormone production.
What are the symptoms of Oligospermia?
The condition of oligospermia is generally diagnosed with low sperm count which can make conceiving a child difficult for a couple. Otherwise, the condition is very hard to diagnose.
However, when oligospermia is caused due to some abnormalities in their genes and an imbalance in their hormones, there are certain tell-tale signs and symptoms which can be helpful to diagnose this condition.
These tell-tale signs and symptoms of oligospermia include:
- The testis may suffer from swelling, pain, or small lumps.
- Dysfunctionality issues during sexual intercourse such as maintaining an erection or achieving an orgasm.
- Sometimes, oligospermia can also be caused due to chromosomal abnormalities which can lead to low facial and body hair growth, along with other hormonal imbalances.
- A person suffering from oligospermia can also experience thick semen discharge.
- If a person is suffering from an infection caused by a sexually transmitted virus, then oligospermia can also cause a burning sensation while urinating.
How can you treat Oligospermia?
There are two ways to treat oligospermia. One is to do it naturally with the help of home remedies whereas the other involves some professional treatment options.
The professional treatment options include:
If you are suffering from varicocele you probably require surgical treatment. In this procedure, your enlarged veins near the scrotum will be closed off. This will enable blood circulation from your testicles to your heart.
Certain medications such as antibiotics can help treat inflammations and infections. This might not drastically spike up your sperm count level, however, it can help in preventing the reduction of sperm levels.
- Lifestyle changes:
Bringing some long-term lifestyle changes such as a healthy weight will help you increase your sperm count numbers. Not only that, reducing the consumption of drugs, alcohol, tobacco can also help you improve the sperm count numbers.
- Treatment for maintaining hormonal balance:
To bring back your hormonal balance, a variety of medications, injections, and treatments might be required. As soon as the hormone levels are restored to normalcy, your sperm count numbers might spike up instantly.
- Assistance during reproduction:
If all of the above-mentioned methods did not work and you are still facing a problem conceiving a child, you and your partner might require some professional assistance.
If you are suffering from mild oligospermia, you can try some natural home remedies, which include having sex more frequently can also increase your chances of conception. In addition to that, you can always increase the frequency of your intercourse when your partner is ovulating. This can also increase your chances of conceiving a baby faster.