More often than not, many cosmetic products are made using animal extract such as cochineal beetles. With the advancement of time, people are shifting their focus from using animal-based beauty products to more organic and plant-based beauty products.
Plant-based beauty products contain a variety of botanical ingredients which help in nourishing and moisturizing the skin. All the plant-based beauty products are purely vegan, except those which contain beeswax.
In addition to being vegan, plant-based skincare is also extremely organic. The organic plant extracts which are used in skincare products are often grown in a controlled environment, free from all sorts of fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides.
Moreover, when a product is officially marked as organic, it implies that the product contains 95% or more ingredients which are extracted from botanical sources.
Be that as it may, there is a difference between calling a product organic and natural. A natural product is made from using natural sources without any addition of synthetic compounds. Even if the product is labeled as natural, it may contain 70 percent of natural ingredients whereas the remaining 30 percent is the synthetic content.
What are the common ingredients used in plant-based skincare?
Check out some of the common and most popular ingredients used in plant-based skincare products, which are mentioned below:
1. Hyaluronic acid
Hyaluronic acid is considered to be a hundred percent plant-based ingredient that is quickly absorbed by the skin. Hyaluronic acid is derived from sodium hyaluronate which is completely vegan-friendly.
In addition to that, this acid is naturally produced by the skin. Therefore, be it any skin type, hyaluronic acid will be compatible and will probably not cause any side effects to the skin.
2. Jojoba oil
As the name suggests, jojoba oil has been derived from the Jojoba plant which is generally found in the region of Central America. Jojoba oil is rich in liquid wax which contains Omega-7 and 9. Omega 7 & 9 are often considered to be healthy and rejuvenating for the skin as it complements the fatty acid content which is generally found in the sebum of humans.
Jojoba oil is an extremely moisture-retaining plant-based skincare ingredient. It helps in increasing the hydration of skin, maintaining a balance in the levels of sebum which are found in the skin of individuals, and helps in unclogging the pores of the skin.
3. Carnauba wax
Instead of using carmine that is made from the extract of cochineal insect in lipsticks, one can wear lipsticks that contain carnauba wax. Carnauba wax has nourishing and moisturizing qualities which can make the lipsticks non-drying, long-wearing, and rejuvenating for your lips.
In addition to carnauba wax, one can also use Berry wax in cosmetic products, which is also one of the popular and common plant-based wax.
Have you ever wondered why the creams and lotions you use all over your body are so soft and smooth? Well, it is because of lecithin which is one of the most important ingredients of creams and lotions.
Lecithin is rich in phospholipids which help in rejuvenating and revitalizing the skin. Moreover, they also help in enhancing and maintaining the hydration of your skin.
Astaxanthin is one of the powerful and popular plant-based skincare ingredients. It is considered to be the world’s strongest known natural antioxidant. Astaxanthin is one type of algae that is considered to be 550 times stronger than vitamin E.
It can be consumed in the form of a supplement for the protection of your skin against the damage which is generally caused by pollution and UV rays.
Squalane is considered to be one of the plant-based moisturizers which are derived from olives. When it is applied to the skin, it helps in maintaining the skin moisturized, healthy and revitalized.
However, make sure that you do not confuse Squalane which is a plant-based skincare product, and Squalene which is another cosmetic ingredient. Squalane is occasionally found in many moisturizers and various other skincare products.
Why use plant-based skincare products?
Plant-based skincare products contain the qualities of all the botanical and natural elements which help in keeping the skin hydrated and moisturized. Apart from the obvious reasons, here are some of the benefits of using plant-based skincare products and following a plant-based skincare routine:
- All the plant-based skincare products are rich in antioxidants which help in maintaining and restoring the strength of the cells of your body. This is achieved as the antioxidants help in fighting off the free radicals or oxidants and keep the skin refreshed.
- These plant-based products are a powerhouse of a plethora of vitamins and nutrients. These vitamins and nutrients are needed for maintaining and revitalizing the health of your skin. In addition to this, the vitamins that are present in the plant-based skincare products ensure cell repair and help in decreasing the symptoms of aging.
- If you have ever used a plant-based skincare product, you will have noticed that they have a naturally occurring texture that is extremely smooth without any external addition of harmful petrochemicals or synthesized polymers. This is so because these natural products contain naturally occurring polymers called hydrocolloids which help in giving a smooth and soft texture to any plant-based skincare product.
- These natural products are a rich source of essential fats and acids. They help in combating a variety of skin problems such as acne, dryness, oiliness, dull skin, acne marks, and sagging skin.
- Almost all plant-based skincare products contain lipids and esters which ensure support of the skin’s natural defense barrier. The stronger the natural defense barriers, the smoother and rejuvenated the skin will be. Lipids and esters are, more often than not, used as emollients and conditioning agents which ensure good health of the skin.
These are some of the essential benefits of following a plant-based skincare routine without worrying about its side effects which are generally accompanied by chemical or synthesized skincare products.