The Fuzzy Navel is a marvellous fruity cocktail that has been a favourite of regular drinkers since time immemorial. Since its debut in the 1980s, the world has fondly adopted this peachy drink.
The funny and slightly bizarre name of this drink only adds to its popularity. In taste, the Fuzzy Navel is similar to a screwdriver. It is extremely easy to make this drink, all you have to do is pour peach schnapps over ice and mix equal parts of orange juice. Yes, it’s that simple.
The Fuzzy Navel is a quintessential summer pool party drink. It’s refreshing, has the right amount of sweetness and the right quantity of alcohol to balance the throat burning. No shaking or stirring is required and this Fuzzy Navel cocktail is ready in under 2 minutes.
The Fuzzy Navel is extremely light on alcohol so anyone can enjoy it. The bonus is the concoction of peach and orange that gives it an irresistible flavour.
Here’s everything you need to know about this delicious summer drink: the Fuzzy Navel cocktail.
What is a Screwdriver?
As we mentioned, the Fuzzy Navel is similar to a classic Screwdriver. Now for those of you who don’t know what a Screwdriver cocktail is, let us break it down for you.
A screwdriver is a very popular alcoholic highball drink that is made by combining orange juice with vodka. A boozy concoction, it isn’t too harsh and has the right amount of sweet aroma in it.
While the basic Screwdriver cocktail only has two ingredients, there are many variations of it. Every bartender makes a different variant of the Screwdriver cocktail and each is as delightful as the other.
The Screwdriver is the perfect happy hour drink! You can serve it as a cocktail, a shot, or even keep sipping from a pitcher!
Also read: 5 Best Essential Oil To Use Against Hangover
How Strong is the Fuzzy Navel?
Coming back to our main drink, the Fuzzy Navel, here is one frequently asked the question about the recipe. How strong is the Fuzzy Navel?
The fuzzy navel is a relatively light drink, perfect for young people, and also lightweights. However, you can always make it more potent as the final strength of the fuzzy navel cocktail depends on the intensity and how much schnapps you put in. While the average strength of peach schnapps is 6 percent ABV (12 proof), you can go up to 24 percent ABV (48 proof) or even higher if you desire.
Why is it called a Fuzzy Navel cocktail?
Another frequently asked question is: Why is the drink called a Fuzzy Navel cocktail?
While we agree that because of the name it can sound unappetizing or even gross, but we assure you that drink isn’t. The name “fuzzy” navel comes from the little tiny hairs on a peach and the “navel” part comes from Californian navel oranges.
That is it. That’s the mystery behind the unique name of the cocktail: Fuzzy Navel.
Fuzzy Navel Recipe
If you are an amateur who wants to make the Fuzzy Navel cocktail for the first time, try this recipe.
- One and a half ounces of peach schnapps
- Four and a half ounces of orange juice (always try to use freshly squeezed orange juice for enhanced taste and flavour)
- Ice cubes
- Lemon wedges, mint leaves, cherries, or orange peel for garnishing purposes
- Gather all ingredients.
- Take a highball glass filled with ice cubes and pour the peach schnapps.
- Top with freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Stir well (be careful to not shake)
- Garnish as per your choice with cherries, lemon wedges, mint leaves, or orange peel.
Additional Tip: As we said, you can control the potency of the drink by determining the amount and the intensity of the peach schnapps.
Fuzzy Navel Recipe Variations
Since the recipe for the Fuzzy Navel cocktail is so simple, there is bound to be some experimentation. When you want to try something different with this classic cocktail recipe, try these:
- Add a small amount of grenadine syrup to give the drink a sweet sunrise effect. This is inspired by the recipe of a tequila sunrise.
- Reduce the quantity of the orange juice by half and add equal parts freshly pressed lemon juice for a more citrusy and refreshing taste.
- If you want to make your fuzzy navel a little more sweet, you can add your choice of syrup to it. Raspberry syrup usually works best.
- If you want to make your fuzzy navel cocktail fizzy, leave room for some club soda.
- You can make a frozen fuzzy navel for a boozy treat. Just add one cup of ice into a blender with two fresh peaches. Make sure that your peaches are skinned, pitted, and sliced.
You can chop up the larger chunks if you want to. Now, add three ounces peach schnapps and one cup (8 ounces) of orange juice and blend the drink until smooth. To finish it off, pour into cocktail glasses and garnish with peach slices, or orange peel.
- The fuzzy navel has a fun variant (almost a sister drink), called the hairy navel. The hairy navel follows the same recipe but with a touch of “oomph”. Just add vodka to the fuzzy navel recipe and your hairy navel will be ready. This drink is relatively stronger than the fuzzy navel.
If you liked this fuzzy navel recipe, definitely try these cocktails! You are in for a treat.